Dark Gums? No Problem! Consider Gum Depigmentation to Improve the Esthetics of Your Gums
Dark or brown splotches on your gums can make you self-conscious about your smile. Luckily, there is a solution. ClearCare Periodontal and Implant Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, uses gingival depigmentation (gum bleaching) to clear dark spots on your gums (gingival pigmentation) caused by high melanin levels. Our periodontists, Drs. Hoda Hosseini and Katie Chung perform gum depigmentation through conservative procedures to restore your gum’s health and appearance with minimal recovery time.
What causes gum pigmentation?
The natural color of the gums is pink. However, due to high levels of melanin, your gums can appear to have brown or dark spots. While several factors can cause gum pigmentation, genetics is the leading cause. Like your eyes and skin, genetics significantly determine the melanin pigmentation in your gums. Individuals with darker skin tones are more likely to have naturally darker gum pigmentation.
Gum pigmentation does not indicate any disease or dysfunction. Many patients seek gum depigmentation services for purely aesthetic reasons. Changing the gum color from dark to a natural pink can enhance the appearance of teeth, allowing them to stand out more prominently.
What to expect from the procedure?
Gum depigmentation aims to remove the pigmented area to reveal the underlying, lighter-colored gingival tissue. This treatment achieves long-lasting and esthetically appealing results you may not find with chemical solutions.
Gum depigmentation involves the following:
- Initial consultation to assess your oral health, discuss your concerns, and evaluate the extent of gum pigmentation
- Preparation, which includes cleaning your teeth and taking photographs of your mouth to document the “before and after” results
- Anesthetizing your gums to minimize pain and discomfort during treatment
- Using a scalpel to remove the superficial layer of pigmented gum tissue. We carefully and precisely target the areas with excessive melanin to reveal the lighter tissue underneath
- We’ll provide you with post-operative care instructions to manage any discomfort and promote proper healing
- You will need a few weeks for the gums to heal and the final results to become visible
Gum depigmentation near me
Our periodontal team offers gum depigmentation services to restore your gums to their natural pink color.